Legal Aid Saskatchewan

Home > Community Resources > Fact Sheets > Legal Aid General
Community Resources

Fact Sheets

Legal Aid General

How do I know if I'm Eligible for Legal Aid?

Legal Aid Saskatchewan will provide legal advice and representation in court to people who cannot afford to pay for such services if:

  • You are financially eligible.
  • Your legal problem is covered by Legal Aid Saskatchewan guidelines.
  • Your legal problem has professional merit, in the opinion of Legal Aid Saskatchewan.

Who provides Legal Aid?

Legal Aid Saskatchewan employs over 160 lawyers, legal assistants and support staff in offices located throughout the province.

How do you decide if I am financially eligible?

The financial test has two parts — the asset test and the income test. Legal Aid staff determines if you have enough money/assets available to pay your lawyer without Legal Aid's help.

If you are on social assistance, disability assistance (SAP/SAID) or band assistance, you are usually eligible for legal aid, depending on your available assets.

What kinds of cases are covered?

If you financially qualify and your matter has professional merit, Legal Aid may be able to provide assistance in the following areas.

Criminal Charges (Adult):

An offence which would likely result in jail time or loss of employment if you are found guilty (for example, assault, theft, break and enter, fraud, impaired driving causing bodily harm).

For Criminal Charges (Youth):

As of April 7, 2008 Legal Aid Saskatchewan provides legal services to all youths charged under the YCJA.

Family Matters:

  • To get custody of your children.
  • To set up child or spousal support payments.
  • Divorce.
  • To help you when your children have been taken away from you or there are threats that they will be taken away.
  • To get access to see your children.

This is not a complete list — talk to your local Legal Aid office about your specific case.

How do I apply for Legal Aid?

You can apply at your nearest Legal Aid office. If the person on the phone tells you to come to a Legal Aid office, ask when the office is open and if you need an appointment.

Ask if you need to bring any papers with you, such as:

  • Some form of identification (social insurance card, Treaty card, driver's licence, etc.).
  • Any documents relating to your case, such as court orders, separation agreements, papers related to your criminal charge.
  • Proof of your current income (pay stubs, social assistance/disability assistance cheque stubs, etc.).
  • Up to date bank books or statements.
  • Income tax returns (if you are self employed or seasonally employed).
  • Proof of the value of your assets, such as your car or RRSPs.

How long does it take?

The staff may be able to tell you right away if you are eligible. They may ask you to complete some papers before you fill out an application. Make sure to tell Legal Aid staff if your situation is an emergency or if a court date has been set.

What if I am refused legal aid services?

If Legal Aid refuses you to receive legal services or asks you to pay some money towards the costs of the legal fees, you can file a complaint with the decision to the CEO within 20 days from when you were denied. The complaint form is attached to the denial.

Chief Executive Officer
Legal Aid Saskatchewan
   Head Office
#502-201 21st Street East

What if I can't get Legal Aid?

If you cannot get Legal Aid, you can still get legal information.

  • Phone PLEA (Public Legal Education Association of Saskatchewan) in Saskatoon (306) 653-1868.
  • Get printed information from the Legal Aid office, Government offices, Court houses, libraries or online.
  • Phone CLASSIC (Community Legal Assistance Services for Saskatoon Inner City) in Saskatoon (306) 657-6100
  • Phone Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan (Regina) 1-855-833-7257 or 306-569-3098

    Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan runs free legal clinics across the province where lawyers provide clients who cannot afford a lawyer or have been found ineligible by Legal Aid up to an hour of free summary legal advice. Call 1-855-833-7257 or 306-569-3098 to book an appointment. Income testing does apply.